So, how often should you clean your air ducts? A rough estimate is every three to five years. However, that is only an estimate. The real answer is that you should clean your ducts when they need it. But it can be hard for a homeowner to know when that is. We’ll discuss what you should know to make a more precise decision about whether your ducts need to be cleaned below.
How to Tell if Ducts Need Cleaning
Air duct cleaning is one of those home tasks that many homeowners end up putting off for years. We get it, there is so much to do and not nearly enough time for all of the home maintenance tasks you feel you should do. It can benefit you to know exactly when cleaning your furnace air ducts becomes a “must” instead of a “should.” But the best way to know this is to look for the signs the ducts are dirty.
The signs of dirty air ducts include:
- Dirt and clogs: If you or your HVAC technician inspect the ducts, dirt build-ups and clogs are obvious signs that the ducts need to be cleaned. You may be surprised that ducts can gather debris that becomes several inches thick and actually limits airflow significantly.
- Air filters: When you find that you have to change your air filters much more regularly than recommended, the culprit may be dirty ducts.
- Smells: When the air in your home turns on, do you catch the whiff of an unusual smell? This may be a sign of mold or mildew growth in the ducts.
- Mold and mildew: Do you have mold growth in the home, especially near the vents? The growth may also be in the vents, and they may retain spores and make it harder to eliminate mold unless cleaned.
- Poor airflow: If your HVAC tech mentions that your home has poor airflow, a major culprit is usually the air ducts, whether they’re clogged or poorly designed.
At RB Heating ClimateCare we take duct cleaning seriously. We offer a total duct cleaning service that will not only get rid of the debris in your home but will also improve your air quality. Reach out to us today to learn more about our duct cleaning service.
Why Clean Your Ducts?
Cleaning your air ducts can be very important to protect your home’s air quality and ensure the energy efficiency of your HVAC appliances. Regular air duct cleaning can be vitally important to the proper functioning of your home. However, you also don’t want to waste money on it when you don’t need it. Reach out to a professional for personalized advice.
Ask Your Trusted HVAC Technician About Air Duct Cleaning
If you still have questions about how often you should clean AC ducts, reach out to a professional for their recommendation. Try to choose a company you trust and who doesn’t make all of their money on duct cleaning, or you may get a biased answer.
Are you looking for an HVAC Company for servicing the heating or cooling system of your home? Contact the experts at RB ClimateCare today. We’re here to help!