There is a lot of buzz around HEPA filters. Are they really, better than other filters? And, if they are, what kind of benefits can you expect if you use an air purifier with a HEPA filter? Let the experts explain what you should know about HEPA filters.
What is a HEPA Filter and How Does It Work?
HEPA stands for high-efficiency particulate air. These filters can remove particles from the air with a high degree of efficiency. They accomplish this with microscopic hairs that work as a normal filter does on a larger object. They simply catch particles and prevent them from going through. These fibers are so small that they will capture 99.97% of the particles in the air that are 0.3 microns smaller.
How small is that? Well, a centimeter has 10,000 microns, so a third of a micron is incredibly small. In fact, it’s so small that HEPA filters catch dust, allergens, mold spores, bacteria, some viruses, dust mites, tobacco smoke and other very small debris in our air.
The Benefits of HEPA Filters
As they are so effective at removing the smallest debris from our air, HEPA filters have many benefits that other air filters cannot offer.
- Fight allergies: HEPA filters are fantastic for removing allergens from the air and can help you relieve your allergy symptoms. Issues like seasonal allergies and reactions to mould spores are often reduced when a HEPA filter is in use.
- Reduce dusting: HEPA filters will actually remove dust from the air, instead of just moving it around, as other cleaning methods do. This eliminates the issue of dust being kicked back up after you have finished dusting.
- Breathe better: Those with respiratory issues can breathe easier when there are fewer particles in the air. Also, if you partake in hobbies that generate particles, such as woodworking, using a HEPA filter can help you keep your air cleaner. Anyone with asthma, COPD, emphysema or other respiratory issues will benefit from a HEPA filter.
- Better vacuuming: Some vacuums have HEPA filter attachments that treat their exhaust. This stops your vacuum from allowing debris back into the air after it sucks it up. Some people feel their allergies improve after using HEPA vacuums, as carpets and other fabrics retain allergens.
- Smell better: HEPA purifiers can remove smoke and other irritants from the air, creating a more healthy and pleasant environment.
- Fewer Pet Problems: Even if you’re not allergic, pet dander and odours can leave your home a little musty. HEPA filters remove pet dander and can help freshen your home.
Get A Quality Air Filter Today
Ready to reap the benefits of HEPA filters for yourself? Contact us at RB Heating to get a HEPA filter purifier.